Archaeological excavations at Merton Priory
As part of the enabling works at the Merton Priory Chapter House, Museum of London Archaeology (MOLA), at the request of the London Borough of Merton and Merton Priory Trust, have recently completed the excavation of a number of archaeological evaluation trenches across the site and the removal of sand from within the Chapter House remains. The trenches revealed the flint foundations of the Priory’s east range wall, the southern cloister wall, the robbed wall of the south range and the south transept of the Priory itself. Further to these investigations Haverstock and the Merton Priory Trust are hoping to show these finds in a new light and expose these previously hidden remains to the public. The trenches are now backfilled to protect them for future display.
From 1117 until the dissolution in 1538, Merton Priory was one of the country’s biggest and most influential monastic houses. For further information on our project as well as a plan of the original Priory layout click here: http://haverstock.wpengine.com/projects/public-and-arts/merton-priory-chapter-house