Church Cottage Private House
The cottage has been sighted as an example of key vernacular architecture and thus registered as a “Country treasure” within the 2007 Vale of Glamorgan Inventory. Being described as “a regional house, once two thatched cottages with lateral entry stairs”, there are only four examples of this typology of cottage in Wales. The cottage has also been included in a Royal Commission publication – “An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Glamorgan, Volume IV, Domestic Architecture from the reformation to the Industrial Revolution, Part II: Farmhouses and Cottages” – where it has been categorised as a lobby-entry house ca. 1700 whereby the small house has been enlarged with a doorway broken from the lobby to serve the addition. The proposal, part through construction phase, seeks to preserve the original building fabric using lime mortars and breathable construction techniques. Other details are within the onerous requirements set down by the conservation planners. Despite these restrictions, it has been possible to gain planning permission for a distinctive extension with a cluster of slate roof forms with glazed link between the new and existing.
Photographs by Haverstock