Linden Farm Supported Living
Surrey County Council
- RIBA South East Award Winner, 2021
- RIBA South East Project Architect of the Year for Kate McGechan, Associate, 2021
- Civic Trust Awards Regional Finalist & Winner in the Selwyn Goldsmith Awards for Universal Design, 2021
- AJ Architecture Awards, House Category, Shortlisted, 2021
- Design in Mental Health Awards, Project of the Year New Build Category, Shortlisted, 2021
- SPACES Yearbook, Shortlisted, 2021
- Honourable Mention at the International Union of Architects Friendly and Inclusive Spaces Awards, 2021
- Structural Timber Awards, Healthcare Project of the Year Category, Shortlisted, 2020
- Offsite Award, Healthcare Project of the Year Category, Shortlisted, 2020
The ten homes are split into three typologies. There are five individual cottages, a two person and a three person shared cottage. In the wider site, there is an activity centre with sensory and therapy provision, an activity room and staff areas.
The masterplan maximises the outstanding setting and the surrounding ancient woodland. The homes are anchored in the heart of the site by a rich horticulture and sensory garden framework.
We have created a delightful supported living setting, which is nurturing yet an integral part of the local community. The tenants have behaviours which can challenge support services and a very strong objective was to ensure that the development is in no way institutional in feel or aesthetics.
There is a wonderful feeling of calm and wellbeing. This is partially to do with the location, which is the beautiful village of Alfold. The architecture plays a big part in adding to this sense of calm. We worked hard to reduce the visual “noise” and create a domestic feel, with careful consideration to the lighting and views to the wider landscape. The exposed visual CLT walls, large windows, high ceilings and restrained palate of natural materials all contribute to the quality of light and feeling of space. It is this sense of calm and wellbeing that helps create a homely environment that is ideal for people with neurodiverse conditions.