M on the Square Cafe and Restaurant
Brackley Town Council
Our work included the introduction of new community spaces, a ground floor commercial unit and an attic holiday let to provide an income for the maintenance and care of the building.
We carefully stripped back layers of modern fabric infill to expose the true scale of the original Market Place and its historic flagstone floor, iron columns and masonry walls.
Archaeological investigations and watching brief have revealed the remains of three central pier bases which would have supported the timber floor above before the cast iron columns were introduced in 1883. To the north east corner the remains of a constables room and cells were uncovered. These remain in place with discrete references left within the floor finishes.
Our work included relaying the historic flagstones over an insulative aggregate breathable sub-base, new mechanical and electrical services, window frame repairs and ceiling works to improve fire and acoustic separation from the Civic Hall above. The ceiling has been finished using lightweight and flexible Fibre chalk plaster over riven laths.
We have introduced a free standing pod within the space to provide WC’s, storage plant space and open plan kitchen bar space. The unit was conceived as an element of furniture with finely crafted oak cladding fixed over an acoustic absorber to control reverberation.
M on the Square have now taken occupancy and set up a thriving café Bistro for people to enjoy the beautiful surroundings. During the day the space is bathed in natural light that flows through the hand crafted cylinder glass windows. At night the place provides a warm glow to the high street through its 180 degree aspect. Newly introduced doors and southerly terrace allow additional access and views down the high street.