The Belham School
London Borough of Southwark
- New London Architecture Awards, Education Category, Commendation, 2019
- SPACES Refurbishment School Award, Winner, 2019
- BD Architect of the Year Awards, Refurbishment Category, Finalist, 2019
- Civic Trust Awards Regional Finalist & Selwyn Goldsmith Awards for Universal Design Regional Finalist, 2019
- AJ Architecture Awards, School Project of the Year Category, Finalist, 2018
- AJ Retrofit Awards, Schools Category, Finalist, 2018
- New London Architecture Awards, Education Category, Finalist, 2018
The new school centred around the sensitive restoration of a Grade II Listed London Board School. We have been able to cleverly knit a three storey contemporary extension, to fulfil the client’s brief and deliver an exceptionally high quality modern learning environment. As part of the project we carried out essential remedial works to restore the listed fabric safeguarding the future of the building and the character of the area together with the provision of the significant new build extension, conceived as a perforated corten box on top of a simple brick plinth.
The positioning of the new build was challenging given complex party wall issues, overlooking from neighbours, rights of light implications and the historic gables of the existing building which Historic England were keen to preserve. Through extensive consultation with the school, governors, parents, children, the local community, the Local Authority, the planners and Historic England the modern addition was agreed given it referenced the listed building’s scale while being appropriately subservient, to the original building. The three-storey nature of the extension has minimised the impact on external space while also integrating innovative roof terraces at different levels to maximise external learning opportunities for the children.
This project balanced the needs of conservation, development, sustainable design, stakeholder engagement and outstanding architecture for the benefit of its diverse and dynamic community in central London.